Social Media Marketing Tips for Entrepreneurs
Social media has become a powerful force in marketing. Millions of people are use them every day, brands can also easily segment those people and find its narrowly targeted audiences. Users can find success no matter how big you or small they are: from a single person with almost no budget to a large corporation spending millions of dollars on marketing. Social media opened the gates to new opportunities almost for everyone.
However, during the last ten years, so many different social networks have emerged that it became impossible to stay active on each of them. Especially for small business. Each platform became very problematic to comprehend with its unique audiences and behaviors, so brands had to adopt different strategies and tactics to be successful. While large companies had enough money and resources for that, smaller brands had to choose which channels are bringing them money and concentrate only on them.
The purpose of this article is to walk you through the seven most popular social networking platforms and briefly explain the benefits from each of them. Also, we will provide five essential tips for every platform on how to successfully exploit them.
Pinterest is a social media platform for managing and sharing various images. If your business produces lots of high-quality visual content, then Pinterest could be the place for you to be. Usually, brands use this platform to showcase their products or services. If you are in fashion, travel, design, food or the photography business, then you should definitely consider joining this social network.
By the way, as statistics show, more than 2/3 of active users on Pinterest are women from 25 to 45 years old. So, if your targeted audience is precisely those women, then Pinterest should be your number one choice.
Here are five tips that could improve your Pinterest marketing:
- There are six different types of Rich Pins: app, movie, recipe, article, product, and place. Use them to make your pins look more appealing. You can find more info about Rich Pins here: https://developers.pinterest.com/docs/rich-pins/overview/
- If you are selling something, add a price tag to your pin.
- Use Pinterest Analytics to track the performance of your marketing strategy and improve it.
- Prepare your website for Pinterest. Install “Pin It” button so that visitors could easily pin your articles and images.
- Optimize your pins for Pinterest search. Use relevant keywords in the description. Also, name your files with words that best describe your content.
Instagram is a photo and video sharing platform. One of the most popular social media apps in the world. It has become so popular because of its simplicity and incredibly high-quality pictures that you can get even from your smartphones. This is possible because of amazing Instagram filters that transform your casual photos into high-quality pictures.
The platform has been extremely popular among celebrities. Also, travel, fashion and food industry brands are experiencing a huge success on this network. Actually, almost any type of business can be successful on Instagram. All you need is just a little creativity. For example, it is very popular for many brands to share theirs behind-the-scene moments because it is natural and human-friendly. And that’s what people love most and are eager to engage with.
Here are our five tips on how to use Instagram effectively:
- Increase the engagement by sharing an attractive and inspirational content.
- Use hashtags to spread the word of your brand.
- Organize contests and giveaways.
- Get your best logo or avatar, craft the perfect bio with a link to your website and optimize your Instagram profile.
- Make use of user-generated content by asking your followers to send you their pictures related to your brand. That way you save time and get a great content to share on your profile.
Facebook is the king of all social media. It has over 1.5 billion monthly active users. This is the place where everyone can find its perfect audience. Even if you are in a very small niche, you can still find lots of potential customers.
However, this enormous size of users made Facebook newsfeed so overstuffed with content that it decided to create an algorithm filtering every message and delivering only relevant posts to users. So exceptionally high-quality and engaging content is a must to be successful on this platform.
Here are our five tips for improving your Facebook marketing strategy:
- Make use of your cover photo. It could be a great place to promote your newest or your best product/service.
- If messages are turned on for your page, make sure to answer all messages through your Facebook page in a short time to earn the “Very responsive to messages” badge. Successful business is all about good customer service.
- Facebook Live is bringing fantastic results to brands. You don’t need any expensive gear, just take your smartphone and do some live sessions with your audience.
- Facebook has a very sophisticated analytics section. Explore it to find out when and what kind of content receives most engagement.
- Use Facebook Ads to deliver your content to a larger audience.
Twitter is a totally different social network from the ones listed above, but, still, a very powerful one. You have only 140 characters to express yourself in one message. Very often it is used to announce breaking news, comment on live events or answer questions to your customers. Usually, the platform is used by news publishers, bloggers, sports industry companies, various celebrities. Many companies use Twitter as a part of their customer service.
It is very important to remember that because of the amount of tweets being published every second, the life cycle of each message is very short. Only minutes or even seconds. So you need to be extremely prepared to post your best content and at the right time.
Here are five tips that will help you be more successful on Twitter:
- Pin your most important tweet in the profile.
- Do the research to find out what are the popular hashtags in your niche and use them in your messages.
- Add visuals to your tweets to make the content more visible.
- Use Twitter lists to curate your timeline feed. Also, these lists could be used to separate your customers, partners, influencers or any other type of followers in your business.
- Analyze your tweets to find out when is the best time to publish your content.
Snapchat is the new trend. Its popularity is growing so fast, that even Facebook wanted to buy it. What’s unique about Snapchat, is its exceptional way of treating the content. Every photo or video you send to your friends gets deleted after they watch it. And that’s what makes this platform so popular among teens. They can send whatever they want without worrying that their parents might see it.
So, what kind of business should be participating on Snapchat? Well, the platform is quite new in the market, and brands are still trying to figure out how to benefit from it. But entertainment companies in the gaming or sports industries might find great success in here.
So to get you started, here are few tips to improve your Snapchat strategy:
- Send short “behind-the-scene” messages to draw new followers and engage with existing ones.
- Know your audience. The majority of Snapchat users are between 18-24, so make sure that your content is appropriate and attractive to your fans. *Although the age groups are increasing as the popularity rises*
- Provide high-quality, unique content that could not be found on any other platform.
- Offer rewards and coupons.
- Send announcements to your followers about upcoming events or special sales.
Youtube is the most popular video sharing platform on the internet. Hundreds of hours of videos are uploaded every minute on this platform, so it has become a powerful marketing tool for many businesses. Various kinds of video content are being published from simple everyday videos of simple people to various commercials, music video clips and movie trailers. Almost every well-known brand is on Youtube and here are some tips that could improve your marketing strategy on this platform:
- Customize each of your channels by adding relevant banners and channel trailers.
- Optimize your video title, description, and tags for Youtube search and SEO.
- Use annotations to link your content to another video or a website.
- Include strong call to actions at the end of your videos.
- Share your videos on other social media platforms
LIVE on: Instagram, Facebook & Youtube
Live streaming on these social media sites can bring you some great benefits. Allowing you to broadcast live video through your devices, so you can live stream anywhere and anytime.
This is a perfect tool for small businesses that have limited budgets but want to engage with their fans in a more personal way. Here are some ways on how it could be used to promote your business:
- Organize live webinars. It will be free because you won’t have to buy any expensive software.
- Hold Q&A live sessions.
- Prepare and live stream various tutorials or training sessions.
- Hosting an event? be ready to broadcast everything through the LIVE options so that fans all over the world could watch it.
- Broadcast live product demos.
This was a short walk-through guide about seven of the most popular social media platforms. As I already mentioned before, you don’t need to be on every one of them. It is better to choose 1-3 platforms that suit your business best and concentrate only on them. Remember that a successful marketing strategy is all about high-quality content and engagement with your followers. So, research your audience, create your marketing plan and let’s go!